Vaping, as we know it today, came into existence at the start of the twenty-first century, though ideas about producing ‘smokeless cigarettes’ go back several decades.
The aim to create a less harmful alternative to cigarette smoking is what led to the creation of vaping – and it was only made possible through innovation and advancements in new technology.
Vaping innovation through the years
- 1963 – Herbert Gilbert patented the first smokeless non-tobacco cigarette, alternative to cigarette smoking ‘using moist, flavoured air’ to replace the harmful burning of tobacco and paper. 1
- 1979 - Phil Ray and Norman Jacobson create Favor, the first commercially available smoke-free cigarette. They are also credited with coining the term ‘vaping’.2
- 2003 - Hon Lik, medical researcher, patents and manufactures the first modern e-cigarette ‘The Ruyan’ in Beijing. The prototype Ruyan – a basic ‘cigalike’ style vaping device – uses the same vaporisation system used in all modern vaping devices, in which liquid is vaporised through a heating element powered by an electrical battery.3
- 2007 – The first e-cigarettes go on sale in the UK. 4
- 2007 – The first ‘vape pens’ become commercially available, bringing better battery power to the vaping experience.
- 2010 - Vaping events (‘VapeFest’) first held in the UK and US., The inaugural Vapefests being held in Tamworth, Staffordshire, and Richmond, Virginia.5,6
- 2010 – The first ‘box mod’ kits become commercially available, giving vapers more control over their vaping experience.
- 2011 – BMC public health produce a report suggesting that e-cigarettes are a potential ‘harm-reduction tool’ following a primary clinical trial. 7
- 2015 – Public Health England releases an independent review of e-cigarettes and concludes that they are ‘95% less harmful’ than smoking conventional cigarettes. 8
- 2015 –The first pod vape system is made commercially available and quickly pod vapes flood the market – bringing a new level of personalisation and convenience to the vaping experience.
- 2016 – The Tobacco Products Directive is introduced across the European Union, providing new rules for electronic cigarettes, containing nicotine.9
- 2019 – The number of people using e-cigarettes in the UK reaches 3.6 million, approximately half the number of smokers.10
New vaping technology
Advances in vaping technology have meant that, since the introduction of the first cigalikes, vaping devices have evolved to become more practical and efficient for user.
- Cigalikes (or ‘cig-a-likes’) – These were the first commercially available e-cigarettes, used predominately by smokers looking for a less harmful alternative to conventional cigarettes. Cigalikes are basic ‘puffer’ vaping devices, generally consisting of two interlocking sections – one containing the battery and the other the cartomiser (the casing which houses the atomiser).
- Vape pens– A more advanced form of cigalike, vape pens enjoy greater battery power than their predecessors and superior cloud production. These thin, cylindrical pen-like vaping devices often improved on simple cigalikes, by including such features as advanced air-control systems.
- Box mods –Typically large, bulky devices with increased battery capacity, box mods offer a lot of customisation – including removable batteries, atomisers and tanks. When box mods were introduced, they were seen as the ultimate vaping devices for those seeking personalisation. But, for many everyday vapers, they were considered expensive, complicated and inconvenient.
- Pod vapes – Considered the ‘ultra-portable’ vaping devices, pod vapes offer great battery power – but are as compact and convenient as a disposable vape. Compared with earlier-generation vaping devices, the small, powerful pod vape also provides a huge amount of versatility and modification plus access to many e-liquid flavours.
- Adjust the quantity of vapour that VEEV produces.
- Bring a new sensorial aspect to your vaping by allowing you to choose your favourite vibration pattern from VEEV’s ‘responsive-draw’ settings.
- Monitor usage by viewing the number of puffs taken on the VEEV.
- Lock the VEEV – to prevent unwanted use by others.
VEEV is the latest in pod vape innovation
VEEV represents the latest innovation in pod vape technology. Based on six years of scientific research and development in Switzerland, VEEV combines simple-to-use elegance, with innovative design, new personalisation features and dedicated support as standard.
Unique VEEV MESH heating technology
VEEV utilises the next generation of vapour-heating technology. Rather than using a standard wick and coil system, VEEV’s unique MESH heater remains in constant contact with the e-liquid inside – ensuring the consistency and quality of the vapour generated and inhaled.
VEEV’s intelligent ‘low liquid detection system’ also cuts off the power supplied to the VEEV’s MESH heater once the level of e-liquid has dropped below a minimum level, meaning that VEEV does not overheat.
VEEV’s Pod system
Using the latest, easy-to-use ‘pod vape’ technology, VEEV offers the user a seamless experience – with no cleaning, and easy, on-the-go flavour swapping. With the latest ergonomic expertise and its pioneering draw-activated heating system, VEEV’s elegant design incorporates a polished aluminium finishing which fits in the palm of your hand and offers a comfortable feel on your lips when vaping.
VEEV also features a high-performance, fast-charging battery, certified according to ISO standards, that has a quick 30-minute charge to provide long lasting power – offering the best precision-vaping experience.
Utilising Bluetooth technology, VEEV’s innovative app on your smartphone creates a genuinely best-in-class, personalised vaping experience.
The VEEV app allows you to:
Learn more about VEEV’s innovative vaping technology here.